Thursday, December 31, 2009

Being Present in the Moment

Many in today's society are guilty of being on their phones a little too much- texting and/or answering a call while at dinner, pretending to be listening to someone while glancing at their phones to check for an email. We all know this is extremely bad etiquette, but it goes beyond that. I have to admit that I was among those people until sometime last year when my life coach and I started talking about the importance of "being in the moment."

I had come into her office for an appointment and I was fuming over a rude email that someone had literally just sent me. The first few minutes of that session were wasted as a read the email to her from my phone and talked about what it meant. Ok, so I am paying a life coach to help me with specific things that we had already outlined. Instead of taking real advantage of the time I had with her, I was allowing this email to interfere. Why do I need be available to everyone at all times and answer every email immediately? Although it never really occurred to me before that breakthrough moment, I don't. I don't have to. I can ask for people to be patient and respect my time and they will. After thinking about what that meant, logistically, for my personal and professional life, I canceled the media bundle on my blackberry. Ahhhh... sweet freedom.

As I have continued to do more personal work in my life, I have also found that severely limiting t.v. and other media consumption is a good thing as well. Instead of the whole family gathering together and sitting in front of the television, why not turn it off? That might give you the opportunity to talk about something you wouldn't have otherwise. Maybe you could pull out a board game and have some interactive fun with your loved ones.

Since I have eliminated many of these type of distractions in my life, I am now free to be more present in the moment and enjoy the people around me. Am I always good about this? No, not always. One of my action steps for 2010 is to limit my Facebook time to once daily for a maximum of 15 minutes. It's so easy to allow yourself to be consumed with things in life that do not matter. I encourage you to look at what those things in your life are and correct it.

For some more info on this topic in relation to parenting, read today's API blog post called "Fully Present"

2 comments:

  1. I love this post Jessica. It's the best one I've read so far. Don't get me wrong, I love the others...but this is a great one. I've been wondering about how to approach this subject with one of my girlfriends. It seems every time we get together (which is about every other week) she busts out her phone the minute it rings. I often wonder what she did with herself before cell phones were a part of our lives... Did she have a phone at home that she set to page her on a beeper or something so she could call anyone back? NOPE. I knew her before her phone ruled her life... so I may have to send her this link as it's been on my heart to discuss it with her but I have a hard time just saying, "Is my time with you not important enough?" :) Love you and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right... There are some days where I just want to scream because I feel like I'm pulled in so many different directions... Mostly with my job --- you're right! I CAN ask people to be patient and to respect my time!! Happy New Year Jess! Love you:)

    ReplyDelete