Thursday, December 10, 2009

Lessons Learned During the Christmas Season

Of course, if you are a Christian, it is important for you to make sure that your children know the real meaning of Christmas- the story of the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Aside from that, there are also many other lessons to be learned during this season. In particular, I have given some thought to the messages we communicate, either verbally or non-verbally, about financial responsibility and the need for "things" in our lives.

I cringe at the thought of standing in line for hours to get the "IT" toy for the year. I feel bad for the parents that actually do that. I know parents want to make sure their little ones have a wonderful Christmas and I do too. But let's stop and think about the messages we may be conveying to our little ones by getting them lots of expensive things. Is it telling them "I need lots of "stuff" to be happy?" or "I have to have the coolest gadget to keep me occupied?" or "My parents buy me expensive things because they love me." Or perhaps a younger mind might think "Santa Claus brings me nicer, more expensive gifts the more well-behaved I am."

Now, I am not in any way implying that it isn't acceptable to indulge your child every once in a while with a cool toy that you have to save up to get. I am just encouraging people to think about what messages we are communicating to our children through our actions over a period of time.

Muffin is still very young and has plenty of toys already. Our house is small and we literally cannot buy lots for her; we just don't have the room to fit anything else! I have bought her a few books that will be wrapped under the tree. Luke is planning a gift for her too, although I'm not sure what he has decided on yet. Needless to say, we are not breaking our budget this year and will not any other year. When she is old enough, we will probably do crafts and bake goodies as gifts, and maybe even an annual charity, like Angel Tree, or serve meals to the homeless. Simplicity is key here. Giving to others is kind and it's fun, but it doesn't require spending much money.

What lessons are important for you to teach your children this time of year? What special traditions have you started to reinforce family bonding or teach lessons?

1 comment:

  1. You're such a good mommy. :) I always know that my friends are good parents, but reading how smart you all are really drives it home.

    When I think back to my childhood I don't remember presents or stuff. I remember the time spent with my parents and that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete